Around 1947, the Hiway Theatre opened at the intersection
of Eastern Avenue and Orville Road. ( The listed address is 1814 Earhart
Road, Middle River ). The Hiway survived into the early 1980's. The actual
theatre was in the rear of the shopping center, and the two doors seen below
lead to the theatre. A renewal project has seen many new homes going
up in the area, and the food store that was for a while the only shop
left open, has recently moved into the shopping center built one block
to the east. In late 2004, the Hiway came down, torn down as part of a
renewal project that hopes to get more home owners in the area.
A recent drive
by the area showed a bank on the site, and no trace what so ever of the
old Hiway Theatre or the shopping center that had once been there.